Saturday 24 March 2012

And the high points?

Well, the walking mostly. It's not often that you go through a day with no idea of what you might see - and there was actually an incredible variety in the desert - a multitude of different surfaces to walk on, as well as the sand. There was hamada (a bit like walking on gravel, but harder), hamada with rocks scattered (and what amazing rocks - beautiful irridescent greens were my particular favourite - and some containing fossils of sea creatures), sand that was hard with a dried crust, like walking on crisps, and salt flats - sometimes resembling shiny cobblestones. And the salt flats was where we saw proper mirages.

A floating city ... or do my eyes deceive me?

Then the night sky. We had a full moon, which was extraordinarily bright - no need for torches at all. Then when it set (mostly about 4:00am), the stars looked close enough to touch - and filled the entire sky. I slept out one night - and it was fab. Although so cold even my eyelids felt it, and I had to wear my buff over my eyes, peering out from time to time to 'ooh' and 'aah' over the stars.

Passing groups of nomads with their camels, including little baby ones, goats and donkeys. And meeting some local children.

nomad mother and daughter bringing donkeys to the well
There was a surprising amount of wildlife as well - my favourites being the swallows - presumably on their way from South Africa to Europe. They gobbled up the small moths that hadn't made it home in the early morning.

Swallows warming up on the tent before breakfast

Sliding/walking down the big Chagaga sand-dune. And the dust storm that followed us - not enough to bury tents (although it did feel a bit like ours might blow away), but enough to coat us and all our possessions inside and out with a patina of red. Luckily I didn't have a mirror.

And the camels who followed us so patiently with all our luggage, and Mohammed, the cameleer, who was so lovely - and completely unable to sit or stand in anything other than a guide-book pose.

Mohammed strikes a pose

And I can't even begin to describe the ride back to Marrakech through the High Atlas Mountains. So I won't. And can't show pictures either, because my camera had packed up by then. You'll have to go yourself - I truly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment