Friday 8 April 2011

The Training: Must have a plan

That's what they say. Must have a proper training plan so that I can be fully fit when I hit the desert. Seems like a good idea - I do want to enjoy the experience after all, but then I work with a whole bunch of hard-core fitness freaks, and my idea of a proper training plan seems to be different from theirs.

For example: I don't believe in getting up a sweat for its own sake. I like a bit of walking, and don't shy away from a flight of stairs. I enjoy cycling (although you may notice I haven't done so much since arriving in Bristol, but have you seen the hills?), love ice-skating (done even less of that, but probably not so useful for desert training), and also gardening (upper body fitness, I beleive). Fit the exercise into everyday life, so that it doesn't become a chore has always been my motto.

But no. Not enough apparently. You have to have a timetable - a commitment to get out there and do stuff several times a week. Come rain or shine. In sickness and in health. Whether you feel like it or not.

So, let's dust the bike off, and cycle to work. That's 2.82 miles. Each way. Uphill all the way home. Not every day, of course - sometimes I have to carry soup, or have commitmants after work, but let's say twice a week. I can do that.

Meant to start today, but I forgot, so that means can't do it now till Wednesday. So, watch this space.

I thought I'd try a few long walks too. First off thought I'd join the Ramblers and go out with them, but they start so ridiculously early - who can get to the centre  of town for 8.30 on a Sunday morning for goodness sake? So met up with some frineds the other weekend and walked 8 miles in the beautiful Woolley Valley just outside of Bath. We met at 1.00, had time for a pleasant lunch, walked, and still got home well before dark, so I don't know why the Rambers have to be so keen. I wore far too many layers for the walk - so it felt a bit like desert practice even though the wind was a bit chilly at times.

I've decided that if I don't walk in a week, I have to go swimming as a punishment. Have been 3 times so far: and did 20 lengths, then 25, then 40 widths (went to the over 50s session - apparently we're not to be trusted down the deep end. It is only £2.30 though, so I might go back.)

And then the garden calls.

So that's my plan. A walk (or a swim) once a week, cycling twice a week, and as much gardening as I can manage. Seems good to me - but I suspect it won't pass muster with the fitness police. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent effort Lynn! Perhaps you can take a dog from dog's home for a walk on Sundays so you have to go?

    ReplyDelete