Thursday 28 April 2011

Cycling City

First - a great big THANK YOU to the family Nicholls for being the first (and very generous) donors on my Just Giving page (and also the only ones so far - don't be shy gentle reader!), and also to Nikki for your helpful exercise tip - great idea, but I think I would struggle to keep up  regular commitment at the moment.

Cycled into work again this morning - another beautiful day. Yes, that's right - the words 'cycle', 'work' and even 'again' in the same sentence.

I am now a confirmed cyclist, having cycled into work on 6 successive occasions in the last 3 weeks, so I think I'm going to stop counting now and accept it as a fact of my new blogging/trekking life.

Mind you, it was a bit of a sticky start. On the first day I was freewheeling happpily down the Gloucester Road in the glorious sunshine, mentally composing the blog entry for the day, when I passed not one but two collisions between cyclists and white vans (no word of a lie) within a hundred yards. Both involving ambulances, sadly. In the first one everyone was standing, but the other involved a stretcher, although the cyclist was conscious at least.

Philip (the boss, and fellow keen cyclist after his mega charity ride last year) said to think of it as 'a warning' rather than 'a sign' - he was right.

So, on a daily basis I now jet the 2.82 miles into work, and puff the 2.82 miles home (uphill is a full lung experience for me) - and actually really enjoy it. I have joined the legions of smug cyclists.

After that first morning I have investigated a few diversions into smaller streets, but essentially, for those who don't know Bristol, my route is a major arterial highway (the A38) into town. For parts of it (we are the nation's first cycling city after all) there are cycle lanes with the picture of a bike so that you know. You do however share the lane with several tones of bus - now there's an incentive to keep those little legs working.

But what really gets me, is that, just when the road narrows dangerously and you need a bit of support, the cycle lane just disappears, without so much as a by your leave. No warning. Just stops. At least they could put a 'You're on your own now kid' a few yards in advance, just so that you're prepared. Then perhaps a jaunty little skull and crossbones, for those who can't read at speed. But nothing. Come on Cycling City -get your act together!

However, I am pleased to be on two wheels - and it is even quicker than the car/walking combo that I used to do - even going home.

Hooray for the fitness campaign!

Back soon

No comments:

Post a Comment