Friday 8 July 2011

The Desert

I don't know why the desert holds such a fascination - I've never been to one, and I don't even really like the heat that much.

But it does.

Listen to this, from the trek organisers:

There is no landscape on earth like the desert! From stony flat expanses scattered with ancient fossils, to perfect wind-blown sand dunes, broken only by the occasional oasis...


The desert and its incredible night skies provide a feeling of space and of solitude, of nature’s power and the transience of mankind, that is both awe-inspiring and humbling. This will be an unforgettable and life changing challenge.

Life reduced to the very basics. Just sun and sand, with no time for the fripperies that can daily consume us.


As I get older, I find simplicity in all things ever more attractive, letting go of all the stuff -  the material and emotional baggage that accumulate over the decades, even across the generations.

As the Desert Fathers said:

'Why do you beat the air and run in vain? Every occupation has a purpose, obviously.
Tell me then, what is the purpose of all the activity of the world? Answer, I challenge you!
It is vanity of vanity: all is vanity.' 
St. John Chrysostom 

and who would want to argue with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment