Thursday 5 May 2011

More Devon Training

30th April
Breaking in the new walking boots. Bought them a couple of weeks ago – lightweight, good ankle support,  joined-up tongue to keep out the sand – and half price in the sale. Perfect. They’re a size bigger than I normally wear, but the sixes pinched a little, and I’m guessing my feet will swell in the heat. Was reluctant to pack them, because I didn’t want to get them dirty, but good sense prevailed. They were fine, as were the very expensive special socks (over £5 a foot!) that I was also persuaded to buy by the young girl in the shop.
The boots (with a glimpse of sock)
We walked 10 miles altogether from Brixham back to Torquay (including 1½ miles from the ‘cottage’ down to the harbour).  I’m perfecting my new approach to ascents (‘think like a mountain goat’), but overall it wasn’t a particularly strenuous section, climbing 500 metres overall John tells me. Mind you we did climb several of those metres a few times over, I think, with all the ups and downs.
Was very tired at the end though, needing a serious cream tea to revive me (awarded 7/10 in the Grand Cream Tea scheme of things). A similar mileage to what we’ll be doing each day on the trek though, and that will be at 40°C, so plenty more work to do!
When I was visiting the happy sheep in Wales a few weeks ago, we did a few miles in the Brecon Beacons too. Was keen as mustard and fairly raced up the hillsides, so I am noticing a difference in approach, if not necessarily stamina. Can only get better with practice.

1st May
Sue had to stay at home today, suffering from the results of seriously losing an argument with a railing earlier in the week. Yesterday’s ups and downs were probably a walk too far in the event. John and I walked northwards from Torquay, hugging the coast (including around Somebody or other’s Nose – loved it but can’t remember the actual name), although disappointingly when we came back to the road to make our way back, we were still on the outskirts of the town, the road having taken a bit of a short-cut. Still did 10 miles though in all, as we then walked back to the cottage. Lots of height again – waiting for the details from John. Apparently yesterday’s height figures were the grand total of metres climbed in all, including ones we went down again. Today’s figures are even more impressive, I believe, and the 2 days total gives us the equivalent of a couple of Snowdons. John gets it all from the GPS.
Big flappy OS maps are so yesterday – everyone seems to be stroking their little GPS screens these days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment